Kentucky Downs Sunday Card Moved to Wednesday

RSS feed Print email to a friend
8:23 am

By Dick Downey
Updated 10:12 a.m. CT

Due to wet conditions, Sunday's card at Kentucky Downs has been moved to Wednesday. The 10-race lineup includes the Dueling Grounds Oaks, the Dueling Grounds Derby and four Claiming Crown qualifying races. First post will be at 1:25 p.m. CT.

The five-day meet is scheduled to conclude the following day. 

Track officials had hoped to run pn schedule and very early today indicated that's what would happen via Twitter, but rainfall moving through the area changed their plans.

Track officials have received permission from chief state steward Barbara Borden to keep the Sunday entries intact, so there will not be a redraw. All prior scratches are now rescinded, and, according to the new overnight sheet, a new scratch deadline is set at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday.

The Franklin, Ky. area has been threatened with rain since Tropical Storm Gordon turned north four days ago. Kentucky Downs managed to avoid the fallout on Thursday and Saturday, generating a record one-day handle on Saturday of $10,039,008 and a solid $5,815,464 on Thursday.

“Unfortunately, due to the early morning rain showers and predicted showers throughout the day, we are canceling the card today,” said Ted Nicholson, Kentucky Downs senior vice president and general manager. We felt it wasn’t going to be safe for our riders and horses, and safety is our number one priority. So we are moving the races from today to Wednesday.”

Refunds will be given to those with reserved-seating tickets who can't make it to the track Wednesday.

After today, the local forecast through Thursday calls for no more than a 20 percent chance of rain with sun and clouds and temperatures ranging from the high 70's to the high 80's.

“We apologize for the inconvenience, and we know there were horses in transit,” Nicholson said. “But with so many horses -- as well as people from out of town -- having shipped in already, we wanted to give it every chance to run. We were hoping the storm would miss us, as it did Saturday, and with our course being firm the day before and very little rain overnight, we felt there was a chance to run. Obviously that changed, and there is no sign that the rain is going to let up until this evening."